The Island of Zanzibar in Tanzania has major challenges in the management of waste, waste-water, water supply and energy, due to major growth in the hotel and tourism industry.
Novoheat AB and Ecobarge Sweden AB are working together to develop a pre-feasibility study for The Manta Resort in Zanzibar. The pre-feasibility will provide the required technical report and project financing based on a combination of ship-financing, build-own-operate agreements, incorporating Swedish export credits and business models providing opportunities for scaling Swedish technologies.
Ecobarge Sweden AB is a company that provides mobile sustainable infrastructure solutions integrated in a vessel or a barge. It is scalable and can supply; heat, cooling, hot water, electricity and different grades of water as well as water purification. It is suitable for any area with inadequate or unsustainable solutions or without existing energy infrastructure.
Off-grid Concept Development for Resorts and Local Communities
Ecobarge is looking for solution providers for scaling up in Zanzibar and beyond.
Ecobarge pilot project: Drinking water for communities and cooling for fish to be used by local fishermen.
The project, in collaboration with Kwanini foundation, is focused on converting The Manta Resort to an eco-resort and supporting the local community with the following technologies:
- Solar station
- Energy storage
- Wastewater treatment
- Water saving solutions
- Solar collectors
- Biogas unit for cooking gas
- Solutions for swimming pools to eliminate the usage of chlorine and save the coral reef from bleaching.
The Ecobarge pilot plant forms the basis for an intended further scale up aiming to meet the needs of up to 300,000 people locally. The market opportunities are as follows:
- Potential investors and financiers are already defined and involved.
- The pre-feasibility study will define already experienced, committed local partners and reference customer or end-user needs.
- There is potential for cost-efficient financing through a combination of export credits, public funding, carbon emission trading and ship-financing.
- An experienced turn-key installer.
- Existing resorts striving towards sustainability for increasing revenues.
- The concept is easily scalable thereby increasing cost efficiency.
- It is a proven business model that provides positive cash flow.
- There is an order potential for deliveries within 12 months subject to pre-feasibility results.
- There is a potential to meet further SDGs through connection with education, etc.
- Potential for a standardized concept towards international markets.