Mrüna, Carex’s local agent in Lebanon, and RISE are developing an Internet of Things (IoT) platform to improve and monitor the operation and maintenance of decentralized systems together with local stakeholders.
Millennium Technology of Sweden– IngesonWater performs product development and test beds in Eskilstuna and Sösdala, Sweden, and tests validation software for design requirements in the face of humanitarian crises and off-grid.
The goal of the project Water-in-a-Box step 2 is to test and verify technical solutions for a mobile, flexible and solar-powered production concept that can clean water from bacteria and salt. It has also been included in the project to demonstrate / test a prototype of a Water-in-a-Box in a real environment at Ekeby wetland adjacent to a water treatment plant in Eskilstuna as a step towards utilizing the concept.
The container will be delivered by air, train, boat or suitable means of transport to be installed on site within 8 hours.
There is a broad interest in the concept, among others from the UN, which sees opportunities to offer this to crisis and disaster relief around the world via their central warehouse.
Where existing wastewater treatment is lacking, there are risks of spreading of pathogens, as sludge is used as fertilizer on arable land. A2T have, in collaboration with The Swedish Red Cross, developed a mobile, flexible, scalable and reliable sanitation solutions for crisis- and disaster areas.
A2T Performs product development and test beds at Sörby farm, Hölö in Sweden, and Bolivia. In Bolivia, validation is carried out in collaboration with AguaTuya and the Cliza municipality.
Properties of the SaniC™:
- Is a complete scalable sanitation treatment system that eliminates harmfull microorganisms.
- Can be constructed for latrin, black water and sludge or a mix of all three.
- Has a mobile and modular sanitation system.
- Has a unique and hygienic solution for future sanitation needs.
- Prevents the spread of infections.
- Has a water and energy saving technique.
- Returns valuable nutrients to arable land.
- Is scalable and adaptable to local conditions.
Pure Bio Synergy (PBS) performs product development and test beds in Sweden with a plan to upscale in 2021. The technology enables a very effective disinfection and water purification with ozone that works off-grid and in all climates.
They feed their plasma generator – the (H)unit – with ambient air of any humidity. Dry air (oxygen) creates ozone, but the real strength appears with humid air. The aims of the Pure Bio Synergy technology are:
- To directly expose equipment, utensils, containers etc to a gas mix.
- To inject and mix the gas into water.
Together, Ozone and the ”H” combinations are very potent in killing bacteria, viruses, microorganisms as well as to decompose medical residues and other chemical and biological contaminants.
The above image illustrates the technology’s ability to:
1) Pretreat the incoming sewage water, i.e. break down pollution (long molecular chains) before it enters the Carex TreeWell system, to improve the overall performance of the system and to allocate more oxygen to crucial functions.
2) Post-treat the outgoing water from the system, to enhance the quality further, for example by eliminating microbial contamination and neutralizing colour, smell and taste.
Advantages of the H Unit (the PBS product name) include:
- Humid air – the “H” effect
- <200W, 24 VDC
- 38×15 cm
- Minimal maintenance
- Long lifespan, > 10 years
- Robust and off-grid adapted
Carex is performing product development and test beds in Sweden and Rwanda. In addition to its technical function, Carex is also testing an innovative inclusive business model for local involvement and ownership in Rwanda.